Friday, September 10, 2010

Touchdown: Mexico City

Around 10:00 at night on Monday, August 23rd, I landed in Mexico City.  My friend, Fernando was there to pick me up, and drive us back to what is his and now my Mexico City abode. 

The place is in an area SW of downtown Mexico City called Cuajimalpa de Morelos (people just say Cuajimalpa).  It is a very busy area with a lot of residential housing and small locally owned stores of all kinds.  As is common in Mexico City, there are street vendors that sell local foods around lunch and dinner. 

The place where I am staying is more like what we would consider a townhouse.  When you drive up to the place, you are greeted by a tall, thick metal surround (this is common to all places in Mexico City).  Then, you push the garage door and part of the white-painted metal wall springs to life, opening to reveal a space large enough to snuggly park two cars.  From there, you enter the house on the second floor of the space.  You first walk into a hall-like entryway with hardwood floors.  The hardwood floors continue throughout as you walk past a TV room and bathroom on your left and continue forward until you begin heading down the stairs to the main floor.  The main floor is a simple layout with a living area, kitchen, bedroom, and second bathroom.  There is a small stoned patio area off the main floor with a grill and hammock.  The floor plan is very open as the second floor is more loft-like with nothing but a rather industrial-looking steel railing separating it from the view below.  It is a super cute and SAFE place. :)

When I first arrived, I hauled in my luggage and was shown around the place that I just described.  Then, I headed for the kitchen.

This leads me to what I first ate when I got to Mexico City: CHEETOS.  That may seem like a strange choice, but man are Cheetos good here.  They are like American Cheetos on crack.  Due to their addictive nature, I usually try to keep myself away from their cheesy, fried goodness, but from time to time, I devour those things.  There are a couple differences between American Cheetos and Mexican Cheetos.  One difference is the level of cheesiness.  Cheetos in Mexico are crazy cheesy to a point where the cheese is rich in flavor and has a melt-in-your-mouth creaminess.  Another is the level of heat.  Cheetos in Mexico have a chili powder-mixture on them that just keeps your taste buds begging for more.  If you are ever in Mexico and enjoy a little bit of heat in your food, get some.

After the Cheetos binge, I unpacked and settled in to the new place.  Exhausted, I headed to bed with dreams of Mexico City adventures yet to come…

2 comments:

  1. Have you explored the pleasures of Mexican Diet Coke yet? Much like Mexican Cheetos, I would describe it as Diet Coke on crack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah yes, Mexican Diet Coke! There is a steady supply of Coke Light in the fridge that I do enjoy every now and then :) always a wise choice.

    ReplyDelete