Tuesday, October 12, 2010

yum, Yum, YUM!


Street food.  I eat it, and love it. 

Throughout Mexico City, there are countless street vendors that sell pretty much anything you can imagine… fresh vegetables and fruits, cheese made that morning, bras, underwear, kids clothing, adult clothing, roasted nuts, dried fruits, false documents, things that they found along the street or in someone’s garbage that they think they can sell, old cell phone chargers, candy, shampoo, toothbrushes, other various hygiene products, old video games, pirated videos and CDs, fresh squeezed juices, bread, pizza, ice cream, roasted corn, tacos, a variety of local dishes… you get the picture. ;)

There are some foods that are sold by small mobile vendors or local miniature restaurants that I have grown quite fond of. 

Since I already look pretty out of place here, I haven’t taken any pictures of said establishments/food.  That would require me, the pale-skinned, light-haired, tall girl who often gets looked at like a foreign species to carry a camera… probably not the brightest idea to be flashing around something expensive when my pale features attract a heightened level of attention.

I mean, back home people joked around about me being pale enough to be albino.  Here, I’m pretty sure some people truly think I am albino… especially children.  They stare at me, it’s awkward, but by now, I’m used to it!

Anyways, I will be adding in random photos I find to go with the food I am describing.  Hopefully this compromise will suffice until I man up and snap some pics.

I will have a series of blog entries describing some of the food items I have greatly enjoyed since arriving in Mexico City.  Hope you like it!

5 comments:

  1. Hey lady!! Are you still a vegetarian? I can't wait to see food pics! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!! Yes, I have been staying meat free! It has been a bit difficult because there is meat on or in nearly everything here, but many things are easy to manipulate into vegetarian-friendly options. How about you? Are you still a vegetarian?? I know you and Ricky were trying it out! Miss you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Hija! Are the foods fairly inexpensive? I can only imagine how tasty they are! Can't wait to see sphotos of some local cuisine and the neighborhood~~~How exciting to be part of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola back :) Yes, the foods are inexpensive... you'll have to try some when you visit! Of course there are items that don't suit my palate (LOTS of mayo and meat :) ) but most stands have at least one or two items that I greatly enjoy.... and I'm sure we will find foods that you like as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I didnt see the reply back, sorry! Ricky was a vegetarian for the whole month of September...he only had crab once. I was shocked! I ate about half veggie during that time. It was pretty easy, but it was hard to not make meat for the ladies. I hope all is well still!

    ReplyDelete